Neverware’s CloudReady is an Operating System (OS) which you can use to make your PC into a Chromebook. In this article, I will show you how you can do just that!
You might be thinking why would you need to do that? Well, the cloud seems to be the way forward and if you have an older computer you might find that it runs better on it.
While writing this article I will be upgrading a Small factor PC which I plan to use connected to my TV. The full video of the upgrade is available below…
I am not responsible for any damage caused to your PC. Your Flash drive and the hard disk inside your computer will be wiped. Please backup your data before you start!
You will need…
- Flash Drive (8 or 16 GB)
- Target computer
1. Download the CloudReady Home USB Maker
Available here: https://www.neverware.com/freedownload
2. Back up your data!
Both your USB drive and hard drive will be wiped making room for the installation!
3. Insert your flash drive and start the USB Maker
4. Select your Architecture
5. Click next until the installer asks to choose Installation Media
For some reason Sandisk Flash drives are not recommended by CloudReady
6. Select your installation Media
Click next to start the installation. It might take time depending on your network connection.
7. Insert your USB drive into your PC and boot from it
Depending on your computer, you may have to enable boot from USB in the BIOS.
Installing CloudReady will wipe your Hard Drive!
8. Once your live USB boots install CloudReady…
- Have a play with the live version to see if you like it. If you do continue the steps below…
- Click the clock in on the bar, in the right-hand corner.
- Select Install Cloud Ready
- A window will appear asking you whether you want to install. This will wipe your hard drive. if you want to continue, select “Erase Hard Drive & Install CloudReady.”
- You might get asked once more to make sure that you want to install the OS
- Wait for the installation to finish.